Saturday, September 03, 2005

Working out the GPS mount

The local boating supply (of all places) had RAM mounts in stock. And they had one for the GPSMAP76 (and not many more). Lucky me so I picked up the cradle an a universal ball mount and started to figure out a way to make it mount. Then the cheese insued. :(
After fiddling around with a couple of different mounting locations on the bars I selected an area close to the center of the bars. Moving further out it would come close to contacting the windscreen an in a crash I'm concerned it would pop it right off and I'd suffer further humiliation/damage. In the center it might have a fighting chance of surviving should I screw up big-time. I also considered placing it in the center actually over the keys but though that it would just be too big of a hassle even if I could fabricate a mount.

So here is how I did it. Pretty cheesy looking huh? Well it works. At least the mount to the bars works. The ball mount however (even with the tightenting screw I added) is just way too lose. I'm not at all happy about how that is working (or not working) out. I sourced a stainless u-bolt and drilled an offset hole in the lower plastic mount and bolted that to the handle bars. This mimics RAM's mounts for the bars but the base they use for the ball obviously is different than the one I purchased. Rats. Regardless after trimming down the threaded section it all went together.
I then purchased a pack of small stainless machine screws and nuts to use on the upper section of the ball mount to tighting it up. It sort of worked, for a while but after a 100 mile test trip (not even on any dirt roads being midnight and riding alone.. why push it) it was loose and floppy. Not to my liking. So now I need to come up with something more robust. No way do I feel like it would stay on the bike on a trip to Baja!

Back to the drawing board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home