Saturday, August 20, 2005

Just finished reading "Long Way Round"



At the recommendation of my riding buddy I bought a couple of books last weekend to get a feel for long distance traveling. The first I started to read was "Long Way Round - Chasing Shadows Across the World" - Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman.

It's the tail of two guys (three really when you count the camera mand that was with them most of the trip) struggling, learning and bonding as they traveled around the world on a set of BMW 1150GS Adventure touring bikes.

It was an easy read. The first part of the book I think they spend way too much time fretting and missing thier families. As a husband and father myself I can understand some of it but it got a little too sappy for me at times. However it was not enough to make me put the book down.

It's a pretty quick read (I spent about 7 days reading it). Most of the time they discuss the perils in crossing Mongola. The stories there were quite interesting and I found myself laughing quite often!

Stepping back to the begining of the book, Ewan described what, for him, it means to be a 'biker' and I found a kindred spirit and though to myself. Wow.. that's dead-on. I'm not going to post the excerpt here, really.. you should buy or checkout the book. Sit down and read.

It certainly makes me want to hit the road more than ever!

The second book he recommended was Neil Pert's 'Ghost Rider'. I'm only 100 pages into that book and I'm enjoying Neil's writing quite a bit even if he circumstances surround the travel are quite tragic. I'll post more about that book and "Long Way Round" in coming days. For now.. I have a 3 year old boy that is dying to eat some waffles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home